Wednesday, July 15, 2020

African Violets

"And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all of his splendor was not dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and gone tomorrow, how much more will he clothe you - O you of little faith." (Matthew 6:28-30)

On the scheduled days that I arrive to church I am greeted with a silent "Hello, Dan. It's going to be a good morning now that you are here." No, its not a quick head down acknowledgment from my secretary with an accompanied queen wave. That's more like..."Ahhhhhh...I've been waiting for you to come in because I need this and this and then there's so and so and you know who...and you're supposed to call...and check your emails..." Actually, she a wonderful secretary and co-worker. But she has a run for her money when I open my door and see my window sill full of blooming African Violets. Maybe some of you flower aficionados knew this but the genus name for this flower is "Saintpaulia."

St. Paulias as I call them collectively and affectionately, not preferring one over the other, greet me like a pet waiting at the door, always grateful for my return - except without the slobber and dander and smell and need to go out. Wow! I never realized how much I like pet flowers. A stick of my finger in their soil to check for moisture and I'm on my way. 

I didn't think that I would be able to care for violets. They are a bit temperamental. There were quite a few occasions where I thought I was going to have to officiate a funeral but I realized they were in a growth cycle. 

The leaves would be this deep, beautiful, green with a vibrant purple flower or flowers in the center. Then the flower would die and dry up. Then the outer leaves would get a little yellowish brown. I would check the water. Just right. Hmmm. Should I be feeding them? Be patient. Then a few center leaves would sprout. Those deep, beautiful green leaves eventually would extend  out to the ends and yet again produce the flower of life. 

It was Jesus' point. Don't worry. Things look healthy. They bloom. And then for no reason (to us), things seem to die and dry up. We wonder what we should have, could have, would have done if we had only known how to curtail the difficult events that came our way. But alas, it was not for us to control. Things have cycles. People have cycles. Nations have cycles. And we are hoping...diseases.

I feel like the flower has died in our world. I'm sad. I'm frustrated. I long to do something to change things - to bring back the color, the green, the purple, the joy. But Jesus reminds me that somethings need to die so that they can be resurrected or renewed. There is still life in the plant but it needed a rest, a chance to catch its breath, to gather enough strength to push up and out. 

God is doing something. He is in control. And my plants are still saying, "Hello, Dan. Its going to be a good morning now that you are here." 




6 comments:

  1. The continuing cycles of The Faithful GOD shown in His Creation says that we can Always have Hope ... <><

    ReplyDelete
  2. chickens available" and to check out a number of the entries on the first page, Conures

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is nothing worse than having the bird of one's dreams delivered, and to be unprepared. caiques

    ReplyDelete
  4. thousands or even a large number of dollars. Therefore, that absolutely is not a purchase to take lightly. cockatoo for sale

    ReplyDelete
  5. chickens available" and to check out a number of the entries on the first page, Parrots

    ReplyDelete
  6. who have performed company with the dealer in question. A good thing about most of these reviews is that they are for the absolute most part anonymous, Parakeets

    ReplyDelete