Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Year of the Horse

Psalm 20:7, "Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the Lord our God." 

Last week began the new lunar year for those in Asia. For those of you non-Asians, the lunar year begins the reign of a new animal. Last year was the year of the snake. This year is the year of the horse. 

This year I have been entrusted to sing "Happy New Year" in Mandarin to the tune "O My Darling." Complicating matters, there seems to be numerous ways to say, "Happy New Year" in Chinese (both Mandarin and Cantonese). Once again I find myself in the position of public embarrassment, trying hard to be confident while internally wishing that I can get it out with an understandable mumble. 

As I selected the key verse for my closing "talk" I became acutely aware that I am often on the wrong side of this verse. It manifests when I am asked to do things outside of my comfort level. I trust in my chariots. I trust in my horses. It's why I worry about how this will all turn out in the end. At present my horses are all out to pasture and my chariots are in the shop for repair. 

Actually, I know in my heart that any attempt at speaking the Chinese language will be welcomed. Any time I have made an effort to move into my church family's cultural world it has been met with great appreciation. I just feel badly that I cannot verbally engage with them more regarding their "heart" language. God grant me the gift of tongues! 

Psalm 20 is a psalm that specifically speaks of saving the king, the anointed one. And in this psalm the people are not denying that chariots and horses are needed to win the battle. But they are conveying that at any given time there are actually two battles raging:  one physical and one spiritual. In the physical, the psalmist is recognizing that chariots and horses are only successful if they are the instruments in the hand of a much larger power. And without that much larger power it doesn't matter how many chariots or horses you have. Defeat will be coming your way.  

The Apostle Paul eloquently stated this in 2 Corinthians 10:3-5:  "For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does.  The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ." The weapons of the Christian are prayer and the Word of God. 

I believe this psalm is teaching me that my ultimate strength, my ability to live victorious in this life must be found in the Lord. I am to use the gifts that God has given me to serve him and others well but in the end I need to realize that it is the Lord who will win the battle. It actually makes me appreciate my personal abilities more. They are the tangible instruments that God uses to actually fight the battle. A sword is simply a combination of metals, but in the hand of an expert swordsman, it is a deadly instrument. 

So if my Chinese comes out incoherent this Saturday look around for a little horse poop somewhere close by. It means that I have once again went to the stables rather than the Creator. The battle belongs to the Lord. 

Happy New Year!
Xin nian hao ya!






1 comment:

  1. Great post, Pastor Dan! You will be fine on Saturday. Either you will impress them or entertain them :)! Just kidding.

    It helps when we focus on the Audience of One!

    ~A

    ReplyDelete