Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Spotted Lantern Fly

 "Jesus replied, 'No one who puts hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom." (Luke 9:62)


Ah, the beauty of those little bugs. We thought we had escaped them this year. Grey spotted wings. Red underlying wings with a rich yellow body. Lighting everywhere. Laying eggs all over for another year of plague. Another gift from Asia to the world. The Spotted Lantern Fly. 

The Spotted Lantern Fly "is a planthopper that is indigenous to parts of northern China, Taiwan, and Vietnam. Although it has two sets of wings, it hops more than it flies." It goes after grapes and fruit trees laying its eggs in mass - between 30-50. It also produces a sugary sap that turns into a black type of mold that will eventually kill the tree or plant. 

What I find fascinating is that its hard to kill the darn things with your foot. We finally figured out that they must have eyes in the back of their heads and somewhat blind in the front. If you try to sneak up on them, they jump. If you face them...squish. My back patio is often littered with the carcasses of my insect dance. I'm assuming this is what the neighbors are observing as they see me moving my feet up and down in a strange, and unnatural motion, trying to get in front of them as they keep turning to keep their back toward me. Given a feathered head dress and an animal skinned drum, I could do a good imitation of a first nations dance routine or maybe a good start to some good ole Pennsylvania clogging. 

I find that too many Christians live like this. Always looking backward so as to not get hurt but losing out on life because they neglect to look forward. Yes, those who do not remember the past are destined to repeat it. I'm not suggesting that we do. But I had a dear friend who said to me, "There is a reason the windshield in your car is much larger than the rear view mirror." Live for what's ahead while once in a while checking to see if something is creeping up on you from the back or the side. 

Jesus was pretty straight forward to those seeking to follow after him. If you want to follow me, take up your cross daily. If you want to follow me, your family has to come second. If you want to follow me, know that the things of this world cannot be a passion for you. If you want to follow me, grab hold of the plow and make a straight line while holding on to your oxen. I don't want any farmers who look back while trying to plow, i.e. I don't want a person who is always looking to their past life while trying to live for me. It won't work. 

Isaiah tells us to forget the past and to look for what God is doing in the present for a blessed future. 

We haven't been designed to merely jump but to fly. 

Solution:  Stomp away. 




 


No comments:

Post a Comment