Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Porch Swings

 "Now, brothers, I know that you acted in ignorance, as did your leaders. But this is how God fulfilled what he had foretold through all the prophets, saying that his Christ would suffer. Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord, and that he may send the Christ, who has been appointed for you - even Jesus. He must remain in heaven until the time comes for God to restore everything as he promised long ago through his holy prophets." (Acts 3:17-20). 

"Times of refreshing." I always took that phrase to be something that I could attain in the present but I can't think of the last time that was true for me. A holy discontent. Jesus said, [I paraphrase] "Come apart before you come apart." Thank God for vacations. But even then I don't think I experience what is intended for me. Get a bunch of sinners together, redeemed though they may be, and there is still conflict, negative talk, different food, and a bed that's hard to sleep on each night. 


Refreshing. I think I received a little taste of this on a bench swing at my in-laws this week. Mid 70's. Overcast. Slight breeze. Eyes periodically closed. Nature sounds. A good biography on Archibald Brown (ca. late 1800's). But then I came to the section where all kinds of church strife came into his life. Denominational splits. His best friend, Charles H. Spurgeon dying as well as two of Brown's wives and several children. Cultural changes that saw people disinterested in the things of God. Reminders of the stress of this world. Book closed. Eyes closed. Elusive refreshment. Deep breath. Almost.

Reminded me of simpler times when I was a kid, sitting out on the back porch on what seemed like a ten person black bench swing with my cousin, Beth, whom I thought I would surely marry. My grandmother's very large apartment was located on top of a liquor store right on the main street of town. We all (my mother's side of the family) have such fond memories of that place. It was noisy but it was quiet. The lights of the nearby filling station shone brightly and offered just enough light for us to see each other. The weekend cruisers went up and down the street. And yet there was a sense of tranquility. Peace. No one said anything. We just were. Swinging. Gently. Rhythmically. Great memories from a farm kid of the big city. 

Our vacations are usually spent driving back to Indiana to visit family since we live so far away - its nice, but its draining for me. It was nice to not have all of the work deadlines but that darn phone keeps dinging with people sending texts and notifications. They generally start out with, "I know your on vacation but..." It's okay. I love those people and ministry is not a job but a life for me. But the spiritual tank was near empty when I left and not much came home. I'm tired. That's okay. 

You see, that verse on refreshment is not for this world. There is a rest for me, for us, but its when Jesus comes to take us home. He helps us bear the burden in this world but relieves us of it in the next. It's my hope, our hope. 

I thought about joining a monastery but I do love the company of my dear wife. And...I have read enough of Church history to know that they are fraught with the same tensions and stress of the world. You're just locked in and have to eat veggies the rest of your life. 

I thought about another dangerous mission trip to a 3rd world Muslim country but the danger would actually be riding in the plane for that long with Covid recirculating air. 

A nap sounds good but effects the body more than the soul. 

The swing it is...and a daily hope for His coming. And wouldn't you know it...its raining. Maranatha!

2 comments:

  1. However ! ...
    He's Coming ! ...
    On the Clouds ! ...
    I'm Excited about Clouds ! ...
    Love to You my Brother ... <><

    ReplyDelete
  2. However ! ...
    He's Coming ! ...
    On the Clouds ! ...
    I'm Excited about Clouds ! ...
    Love to You my Brother ... <><

    ReplyDelete