Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Contagious

Wow! Its been almost four years since I've hit the keys on this blog - an old friend who has waited patiently for my return. I write not from a renewed desire, but as a necessity. I write because an invisible enemy has taken over the globe - the COVID-19 virus. 

I started this blog many years ago because I wanted to put my thoughts down on issues that on the surface appear to be black and white (having a measure of certainty) but in reality or in practice were very much in the grey zone. 

Today I pick up the writers pen because such is the context that I find myself. The truth is that I don't know the truth about this virus. It is not black and white but a shade of grey. 

I have people in the medical field who are shouting "pandemic" and likening it to the Black Plague that will soon kill 80% of the planet. No one is saying this, of course, but that is what people are hearing. Their reassuring words fall on deaf ears as flights are canceled, grocery stores are inundated with depression minded hoarders, schools cancel, churches shut their doors, sports have come to a halt (they're running reruns of March Madness 2015 - I want a refund from the Cable company), etc... 

I have others in the medical community and even reporters who believe that this is so blown out of proportion that it borders on medical and social malpractice, equated with yelling fire in a crowded movie theatre when a hand full of people were caught smoking cigarettes in the corner. They fear for their jobs to even question the hype. They are not saying that it is not a real concern but equating this with the average influenza, which in the end, and may be statistically proven, to be far worse. 

Then there are those in the middle - people who are sorting it out, trying to follow the rules, being considerate, kind, and helpful, believing and trusting - me and probably most reading this blog. 

I think in the end, it really doesn't matter. We will never know how the strain started. We will never know if it was hype or hell. We just need to give people hope. 

I was thinking about what does matter: No particular order. 

1.  Loving people. Even those we disagree with. 
2.  Being kind and courteous. Pandemics are no excuse for forgetting your manners. 
3.  Being generous. Don't hoard. Look for ways you can responsibly share you possessions. It really does speak to where your treasures lie. 
4.  Community. I am going to miss my church family the next couple of Sundays. I will miss the handshakes, hugs, and kisses. I will miss the greeting of Bruce and Marlene at 8, the hug from Brother Rob, the prayer with the worship team, the old hymns and old saints, young saints and in between. The general atmosphere of belonging and worshipping our Lord and Savior together. So much to be thankful for...
5.  Trusting the one who is the Truth, the Way, and the Life - Jesus. The worst thing the virus can do to me is kill my body, but then I would be with Jesus. "O grave where is your victory, O death where is your sting." No worries on my end. 
6.  Being prepared. I think this is a wakeup call for the Church in general. We should have been expecting things like this to happen. After all, we're going around saying its the "last days" and yet living like we were in an episode of "Happy Days." My prayer is that this is the new normal. Church was never supposed to be a building but a group of people who communed with the phrase "until He comes" as their motivation and expectation. 
7.  Family. I hate being so far away from those who are dearest to us at such a time of crisis. But for such a time as this...we are where God would have us to be. 

Be contagious today. Not with the virus but with what matters. 

2 comments:

  1. Miss you , too , my Brother ... I guess it will be a little bit til a new normal settles in ... Thanks for your love for the Word , for The LORD , and for His people ... Love to You's ... <><

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your words of wisdom and guidance. God bless us all

    ReplyDelete