Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Pretty Woman



"Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.
Honor her for all that her hands have done, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate."
(Prov. 31:30-31 NIV)



Post-Mother's Day. I've had a smile on my face for a number of Sundays. A little girl has been coming to church...maybe 9 or 10...not sure...but going on 20. She's been coming in her mother's high heels and in fancy dresses with bright lipstick. Her little brother is dressed to the hilt as well. She has this big smile when she comes in. I wave. She beams shyly and finds her pew. They're usually late, so it's a grand entrance and exit as they leave to go downstairs for Jr. Church.

I'm sure some think it's cute while others think maybe a bit of parenting should be involved. I mean if your kid wants to eat ice cream for breakfast, would you let him? I'm not sure how its much different than sugar coated cereal or Pop-Tarts but that's for another blog. I eat broccoli with my oatmeal. Don't ask. But my cholesterol levels are wonderful.

I don't care that she dresses that way, and I'll tell you why. That little girl is why her whole family is coming to church. She wants to be here. And as a family in a bit of chaos, I say, "Thank you, Lord, for pretty little women who have that much influence in their home for good." "Thank you, Lord, that in a culture of ripped jeans and sweatshirts, that someone wants to put her best on for the Lord." 

So, bring on the high heels, the princess dresses, and the bright red lipstick. She's already a beautiful little girl in her spirit. Oh, that we would all be so fortunate. 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment