Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Tongues of Fire

Years ago I was pastoring a church in Alpena, Michigan, and a friend asked if I wanted to go to lunch at a Chinese place north of town. "Sure. I love Chinese food." 

We arrived and went straight to the glutton table (no, not gluten...well...okay, there was plenty of that as well). General Cho's Chicken, a little Mongolian Beef with carrots and broccoli (one must eat your veggies), Crab Rangoon, and some stuff that looked like chicken in light brown sauce. "What is this? It looks like curried chicken." I checked the label. Nope. Some other type of chicken. Not sure if I want to try this. It might be a bit spicy for my palate. 

Chided by my friend for not being adventurous, I took a spoon full. We prayed and asked God to bless our sinful indulgence and then dug in to what ended up being an unrecognizable pile of flavor. I'll start with the mystery meat first. 

Oh, my God in heaven! How do you say "milk" in Chinese or "extra water" or "paramedics"? I was instantly reminded of the accounts of a Middle Age torture - you know the one where they poured hot molten lead down the person's throat. I now know what lava tastes like. My words began to slur as my tongue swelled and my taste buds were scorched by the heat of the sun. Tears flowed. "O Death where is Thy sting?"  It's right here! In my mouth! Maranatha! Maranatha! 

The waitress came around. "Evry ting okay?" "Oh, yeth. Tank you. Evyting is wonerful," I said.  My friend waited until she left to burst into uncontrollable laughter. I said, "You try that stuff." He said, "Well, I love spicy food." A big spoonful entered his lying mouth. Tears flowed. My meal just became more enjoyable. "Oh, my God in heaven! Is this chicken with acid sauce?" Yes. Yes, it is. Tongues of fire, my brother, tongues of fire. We had just experienced Pentecost.


Pentecost. The Feast of Weeks. The Counting of the Omer. The end of the harvest and a time of thanksgiving. The giving of the Torah to the people of God. A turning from the old to what is new and true. The giving of the Holy Spirit - the indwelling of God to everyone who believes and receives Jesus as Lord and Savior. 

How can you not pause and celebrate this event which starts on Thursday evening, May 28th? The Christian Church (Western) will celebrate it formally on May 31st. It is 50 days after Pesach or Easter. 

Fifty. For me - I am choosing to receive a new beginning, a new change, a Jubilee of spirit where I am set free to be more like Jesus and to do more for his kingdom. Wouldn't it be awesome if He came for his Church then? 

I may have to get some food "to-go." Chinese, anyone?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your much ministry to us ...
    Much Grace to You ... <><

    ReplyDelete