Saturday, May 18, 2013

Lincoln

"The greatest among you will be your servant." (Matt. 23:11)

A boring Saturday night gave rise to a Red Box visit at our local
McDonalds and an opportunity to view the movie, "Lincoln." It is a docu-drama about the last 4 months of Lincoln's life and his attempt to pass the 13th Ammendment that made slavery illegal in the United States. 

For my wife, who is not a history fan, it was a bit drawn out, but for myself, it was incredibly interesting. 

I can't imagine the horrors of the civil war and the weight of signing hundreds of Confederate prisoners of war death orders each day. It must have been a horrible burden. 

On top of this put the grief of losing a child and a crazy wife and you have an opportunity for a mental breakdown. 

I didn't like the film in that it demolished my pristine image of a man for whom I found to be next to Jesus. He was a politician. And as politicians go he was just as corrupt as those who had gone before him. We could say that his was a just corruption or the ends justifies the means but honest Abe wasn't so honest after all. 

A couple of lessons the film taught me was that greatness comes at a high price. And that truly great people don't seek it. Greatness finds them as they pursue something greater than themselves. 

I have often prayed that I would do great things for the Lord, and this film reminded me of the above two things: that it often comes at a high price and that it will only come when I pursue something or someone greater than myself. 

There is a reason I avoid the theatre and rent from Red Box. 

No comments:

Post a Comment