Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Essential

I recently officiated a funeral for a 100 year old woman. You may be thinking, "Okay. She died of old age. Not sure where you are going with this Pastor Dan." Well, she didn't die of old age. Some would say that she died because of governmental negligence. Some would say that she died because a select few determined what was essential and what was not or rather, who was essential and who was not. I know full well that there will be those who will argue the contrary in the name of public safety but safety for whom? That will be my point and my pondering. 

I want to first acknowledge that God has placed over us governing authorities, per Romans 13, and that sometimes knowing what it is "right" is a hard thing to do. I will extend a measure of grace to anyone in a leadership position. It often ends up being a question of, "Right for whom?" In any game of "situational ethics" someone always wins and someone always loses. It always...always involves a choice. 

Second, I do not in anyway want to diminish our healthcare workers, our truck drivers, manufacturers, police, fire, ambulance drivers, grocery store employees, or anyone who made our lives bearable and sustainable during this pandemic. You didn't create the term "essential." You were just doing your jobs and doing them under incredible circumstances. You were given a label - one that inadvertently diminished the rest of contributing society. 

It reminds me of the classic situational ethic debate of having a group of people on an adrift boat with only so much food for survival. Each person was listed by their social contribution in life and you had to prioritize who you would throw over board for the survival of the rest. In other words, who was "essential" for survival and who was not. They were all pagans so the preacher was tossed first. They didn't realize that he was also a master fisherman with just a piece of dental floss and a piece of chewing gum. Their loss. 

Third, I know that I haven't had a hair cut in almost three months. While I looked fabulous with a slight mullet in the 1970's, it does not look as good today in keeping with the fifty pounds of pure muscle that I put on since I graduated. So I'm a bit peeved at a governor who doesn't think that a hair salon can be as safe as Walmart or Home Depot (if not safer). And I am a bit frustrated that the spiritual care of people is not viewed as "essential" (but that is for another ranting). I'm just thankful we can reopen church this Sunday. 

Now to the point. Imagine a 100 year-old woman in good health who every morning gets herself around without assistance at an assisted living center, walks down the hallway unassisted, down two flights of stairs, to have meals with her friends. Every night as she lays her head down she gives thanks for simple blessings and arises to look forward to life with friends and family and food. Then this virus hits. Now she is confined to her room. No friends. No family. The enjoyment of a community meal no longer available. She gets weak. She falls. She fails. She dies. Alone. 

My question for all of us today is this, "Who is truly essential?"

As a relative said, "The virus didn't kill her but it was what caused her death." 

God is the ultimate giver and taker of life so I'm not going to figure out where to lay blame. Sometimes things just happen. I was, however, reminded that the things that are essential, outside of my love for God, are family, friends, and having them gathered around some good food. We don't realize how much they sustain our lives and give us life. May we all be reminded and take advantage of those things when we are able and give thanks to a God who so graciously provides them. 

Oh...and our hair stylists. 


Maranatha!


1 comment:

  1. Wondered where that was goin' ...
    Thanks for transparency ...
    Good read ... <><

    ReplyDelete