Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Under Pressure

"We were under great pressure, far beyond our ability to endure, so that we despaired even of life. Indeed, in our hearts we felt the sentence of death. But this happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God, who raises the dead. He has delivered us from such a deadly peril, and he will deliver us. On him we have set our hope that he will continue to deliver us, as you help us by your prayers." (2 Cor. 1:8b-11a) 

I work well under pressure. During my doctoral work days I had to have several thirty page papers due as well as two thousand pages of reading finished - before the actual class took place. I like deadlines because they force me to stay focused. The death of me is being bored. I say this because we all have different pressure points mentally and different ways of dealing with them. 

During this time of pandemic, I scratch my head in bewilderment but also grieve at stories like the medical doctor on the frontlines who contracted the virus, recovered, but then took her own life. It was a pressure "far beyond [her] ability to endure, so that she despaired even of life." 

At this time I have to be careful to not fall into a spiritual depression myself. The feeling of hopelessness when there is hope all around. It tends to be an inward focus that is provoked by my inability to focus on others as I would and should. 

I am reminded of the solution that the Apostle Paul gives to us today in his own words. 

First, recognize that God has allowed this pandemic into our lives. He is not the cause of it. Humans are. Our parents, Adam and Eve, set in motion a broken world full of violence, sickness, selfishness, and rebellion through their willful disobedience to God. And yet, in God's mercy, we can still find traces of love and grace and goodness.  

Second, recognize that their is a divine purpose for allowing it. It was meant to bring us back to a place where we rely on God and not on ourselves. This is a key point for me. When I start realizing that there is a purpose in this, to draw me closer to Him, my eyes begin to lift and my heart begins to be lighter. 

Third, realize that God has the power to raise the dead. Lifting one out of a depression or a sense of hopelessness is nothing for the Creator of all things. 

Fourth, God has promised to deliver us. It is a fact. How He chooses to do so is up to him. But this gives me hope that things will change. Tomorrow always holds out hope. 

Lastly, God uses others in the process. People are praying for me. I am praying for them. It is the divine mystery of how God has chosen to lift us up. He could certainly do it Himself but He chose to use you and me - to partner with us in bringing hope to others. 

More than ever, the words, "I am praying for you," bring the much needed spiritual medicine to my soul. My hope is that I am dispensing the cure to others as well. 

Little know fact: RX is an abbreviation for the Latin word, Radix. It means "root," or "recipe," as in "to take a root prescribed for medicinal purposes."



No comments:

Post a Comment