Thursday, June 25, 2015

Yellow Finch

1 Corinthians 13:12, "Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known."

I have been amused lately by a little yellow finch (I think  - I'm not up on my birds; its yellow and its little and its the only little yellow bird that I know so...its a yellow finch).  

Every morning I sit out in my swing to do a bit of studying and I hear this ruckus. It is this little bird slamming into a parked car across the street. He starts from the tree and heads for the side mirror. It bangs into it a few times then floats up to the windshield wear he bangs a few more times. He's been doing this for the last week...every day. 

He has found a new friend, an enemy, or a mate. There is hope, fear, or relief. Unfortunately the relationship will go no further because...well...quite frankly, its his own reflection. What a stupid bird! 

Unfortunately, I find I have the same malady. How often do I bang my head against immovable objects (metaphorically speaking) thinking that they will produce something new?  Hope. Fear. Relief. All the while they are merely a reflection of me. There is nothing new here except that I see myself for the first time and...I don't recognize who I have become. 

I'm trying to figure out if that is a good thing...

It may just be for the birds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment